Monday, April 8, 2013

Learning to Forgive Yourself

"People can be more forgiving than you can imagine. But you have to forgive yourself. Let go of what is bitter and move on."- Bill Cosby


It has been a rough winter.  Between a bout with the flu, the weather and Achilles tendinitis, I have just about had it.  I had to adjust my plans of running my 13th marathon at the Kentucky Derby Marathon and move down to the 1/2 marathon.  It is funny, when you cannot run, the more you WANT to run!
No marathon for me...1/2 marathon instead.


I have been going to Bannockburn Chiropractic and Sports Injury Center to get back to running injury-free.  I see Dr. Brian Allen.  He incorporates Active Release Therapy to help with my Achilles tendinitis.
Yes, that is where it hurts.
The real bummer about having Achilles tendinitis is that it affects everything else- my hips, IT Band and of course my low back.  I wrenched my back at the end of February which was a bit of a setback with my recovery.

What was a girl to do?  I tell you what she does, she gains weight!  Boo.

So, I am making a deal with myself.  I have rededicated myself to running, swimming, biking, yoga and eating reasonably.  But this time is different.  Instead of an all or nothing approach that got me injured in the first place, I am only going to try to be great 85% of the time.

Why not 100%?  Because I am human.  Being human means you are not perfect.  You are not 100%, so why set yourself up for failure.  I am going to try to eat great 85% of the time.  I am going to try to make 85% of my workouts.  

Many of you probably think that I am copping out.  I have realized that if I don't make a workout or eat something that is not healthy, then I beat myself up.  It becomes an 'all or nothing' proposition.  If I succeed 85% of the time, then it is a 'win'.  I can still improve and allow myself to be human.  I can forgive myself if I sleep in and don't run.  I can forgive myself for having dessert once (or twice) a week.  Before learning this, I just constantly beat myself up, told myself I was a loser, slacker and how stupid of me to think that I could even attempt to be a runner/triathlete/cyclist/swimmer/yogini!  

That negative chatter doesn't serve anyone.  It holds me back.  It prevents me for being the best Lisa I can possibly be.

Yes readers, I am still doing my 5-minute headstands (almost) every day!





No comments:

Post a Comment