Monday, March 24, 2014

The Demon Run

"It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell."-Buddha
Please allow me to introduce myself...
No, today's blog installment isn't some race report from October.  It is about a certain kind of run that presents itself every once in a while.

As a runner you have many types of runs:
Training runs- get the mileage in so you can have a great race.
Social runs- sometimes are training runs, but with a destination at the end, like a bar or cafe with friends.
Speedwork- working on getting faster; this is serious running, sometimes puking is involved.
Hill repeats- up and down and up and down…
Fartleks- funny name for running fast and slow randomly.
and 
Demon runs.

Demon runs cannot be scheduled like the other runs, they present themselves as a unique opportunity.  Many variables go into a demon run, such as:
Stress from work
Bad news about the health of a loved one
Frustration about situations you cannot control
And everyone bailing on the run, leaving you to run by yourself.

This Saturday a demon run presented itself to me.  I didn't know it was going to be a demon run until mile 3. I started out from my house and crossed the street to the residential development that I have my 3 to 10 mile routes mapped.  It was a beautiful day- cold (duh, I live in Chicago), no wind and the sun shining.  As I entered the park to run around the lake, the demon run presented itself.  I needed to run hard enough and long enough to get all of my frustrations out. It also involved screaming. I don't know why that feels good when you run really hard and then scream, but it feels really good. Try it sometimes.  You also need a good playlist for a demon run.
Excerpts from my demon run playlist:

Galvanize- The Chemical Brothers
Yeah!-(feat. Lil' Jon and Ludacris) Usher
Get Back- Ludacris
'Till I Collapse- Eminem & Nate Dogg
Epic- Faith No More
Ladies and Gentlemen- Saliva
No More Tears- Ozzy Osbourne
How Do You Like Me Know- The Heavy
Get Ur Freak On- Missy Elliott
Remember the Name- Fort Minor featuring Styles of Beyond
Stupid Girl- Garbage
And the Cradle Will Rock- Van Halen
My Prerogative- Britney Spears

As you run, you are mad as hell.  There does come a point when you work it all out.  You know when you hit that point when a certain peace and calm comes over you.  That is when you know you have had a successful demon run.

That is when you change the playlist to a cool down and find your way home.  Excerpts from a demon run cool down:
All the Love You Need- Big Head Todd & the Monsters
Shambala- Three Dog Night
Maybe Tomorrow- Stereophonics
Give a Little Bit- Supertramp
#9 Dream- John Lennon
Claire de Lune-Claude Debussy

Yes, my concerns and frustrations are still here.  Yes, I am still worried about loved ones and friends, but I know that a good demon run can help me cope.

Sometimes you just need to run like hell.






No comments:

Post a Comment