Friday, February 15, 2013

I Fought the Flu and the Flu Won

"Sickness shows us what we are"- Latin Proverb

Last Saturday, I went out for my long run.  It was a beautiful day and the run was going pretty good, that is, until mile 10.  I started feeling not very well, so I cut my run short.  I was supposed to run 14 miles, but only got in 11 miles.  I got home, took a shower and over breakfast, I started getting the chills.  I was still in denial.  I was feeling ok, just a little off.  It was cold on the run, perhaps I was just having trouble warming up?

Sunday, I woke up and got in my swim and yoga.  I was still feeling off.  I was going to take it easy for the rest of the day.  Whatever this was, it was going to be a 24-hour virus.  I was convinced.
Thank you X-t for sharing the flu.
But alas, it was not.  Monday, I woke up to the full-blown flu.  Body aches, chills and just overall malaise made for a long day.  I felt nasty.  So nasty that I didn't run or practice yoga, but it didn't stop me from not going to work.  

By Thursday, I was over the body aches and chills and had acquired the hacking cough, runny nose and sore throat.  I also lost my voice.  Today, I still feel awful.

This has really thrown a wrench into training.  This is what this week's training looked like:
Monday: Sick
Tuesday: Sick
Wednesday: An attempt of a 5-mile run that resulted in a 2-mile run. Stupid.
Thursday: Sick
Friday: Sick

What is a girl to do?  I have taken this 'opportunity' to heal myself and rededicate myself to training. I am hitting the reset button.  My plan is to resume where I left off with my training when I feel better.  

The lesson of this whole flu debacle is to not give up training.  Yes, it is a setback.  Adversities such as illness, injury or other responsibilites that cut into training serve a purpose.  The purpose is not to give up.  Nothing is easy and nothing is perfect, which also applies to training.  And, by the way, race day is never perfect either!  These challenges help you adjust to the conditions that you are given- great practice for race day.  At least this is what I am telling myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment