Monday, June 4, 2012

The Leon's that Wasn't

"Anytime you suffer a setback or disappointment, put your head down and plow ahead."- Les Brown

Today I was supposed to do a race report of Leon's World Fastest Triathlon, but my body had other plans for me.  That is what I get for going on vacation for a week, resuming training like I didn't go on vacation and not allowing my body to calibrate back to Central Time.  My body revolted and I got a nice sinus infection, which has left me not to exercise since last Tuesday.  Instead of fretting and whining about what happened, I am letting my body heal and sliding back into training a bit slower.  Can't change the past.

So, today's blog is going to be about pre-race meals.  If I am staying at home, my favorite pre-race meal is Penne with Creamy Walnut Sauce.  This recipe comes from my Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites cookbook.  Here is the recipe:

10 oz. of fresh spinach
1/2 cup toasted walnuts
2 cups of fat-free cottage cheese
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup of loosely packed basil
1/2 teaspoon of salt
ground black pepper to taste
8 oz. of penne
1 big crown of broccoli

Bring a large part of water to a rapid boil.

While the water heats, wilt the spinach and toast the walnuts.


In a food processor, puree the garlic and Parmesan cheese.

To the garlic and Parmesan cheese ambrosia, add the basil and cottage cheese and puree.

Finally, add the wilted spinach and walnuts with salt and pepper to taste.

Look and this yummy green creamy sauce!

By this time the water should be at a rolling boil, add your penne pasta to the pot.  When there is 5 minutes remaining for the pasta to cook, add in your mess of broccoli.

Drain the pasta and broccoli and place in a large serving bowl.  Combine your yummy green creamy sauce and voila you have a wonderful, belly-tolerating pre-race meal!
It does look green and goopy, but trust me, this stuff is good and good for you!


If I am racing out of town, I usually opt for a small green salad and pasta marinara.  I do have a glass of wine with dinner to settle my nerves and relax me so I can get a good nights rest before the race.

What is your favorite pre-race meal?  

Three things I am grateful for today.
1) My health- without it, you have nothing.
2) Training for Tri group at the Mundelein Park District- tonight is the first night of the new session!
3) Antibiotics- I am starting to feel well enough to ease back into training!  Thank you Alexander Fleming!







No comments:

Post a Comment