Monday, November 19, 2012

Grateful- In the Spirit of Thanksgiving

“A grateful mindset can set you free from the prison of disempowerment and the shackles of misery.”- Steve Mariboli
The two things I am most grateful for in my life- X-t and Bakon.
Last year at this time, I wasn't in a very good place.  I was in a job that made me miserable.  I just turned 45, which meant I was now middle aged.  I still mourned my golden retriever, Otto.  I was in a real bad funk. I acknowledged this and knew I needed to do something to get me out of it.  I worked with Tiara Coaching on a women's leadership initiative at another job.  Tiara Coaching is a place where women rediscover and refresh their sense of purpose and direction in the company of bright, successful, interesting women.  It is a place where you can reclaim your life.  I needed to do some reclaiming, so I contacted them.

My life coach was Ellen Burton.  She asked the hard questions, demanded the true answers and opened doors.  She changed the way I thought about myself, situations and other people. 

One of my homework assignments was to write down five things that I am grateful for each day.  I am not a writer- as you can tell from this blog. I don't keep a journal of thoughts or ideas.  Writing five sentences each day about something that I was thankful for was going to be a stretch.  Writing five unique things every day seemed nearly impossible.  

I started my journal on Tuesday, January 17th.  The first entry was pretty big.  Here it is:
1) I am grateful for my husband.
2) I am grateful for my family.
3) I am grateful for my friends
4) I am grateful for my health.
5) I am grateful for wine.

There!  Not too bad.  In fact, this is all (or so I thought) that I am grateful for- it sums it up!  Even though I thought this is all to be grateful for, I kept at it every day.  I still write in my gratitude journal.  

After a couple of weeks of writing, I started to notice something.  Life wasn't so bad after all.  In fact, there is a lot of good that was happening to me.  Someone complemented me on my outfit.  I got an adjustment in yoga class. Someone opened a door for me. I got a postcard in the mail from a friend.  I got $10 off coupon.  My dream job became available and I got the offer!

Where I am in my life is light years from where I was last year, or is it?  Did I just need to open my heart and my eyes to see all around me with a sense of gratitude?  As Mr. Mariboli said, "A grateful mindset can set you free from the prison of disempowerment and the shackles of misery."  

It certainly set me free. 



1 comment:

  1. I love it! A gratitude list is such a great idea. I'm glad you are in a better place. Feels good doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete