Monday, August 13, 2012

I Dared to do the Dairyland Dare- Ride Recap

"You must dare to do as many things as you dream of"- Nastassja Kinski
Logo for the Dairyland Dare

The Dairyland Dare was this past Saturday.  A couple of friends and I decided to ride the 50K route of the Dare.  There were 50K, 100K, 150K, 200K, 250K and 300K.  After riding on the terrain of the 50K and being from the flatlands of Northern Illinois, I am glad that I chose wisely and didn't bite off more than I could chew!

The day was beautiful- upper 50s in the morning that warmed up to the 70s by the end of the ride.  There was a bit of wind, but not enough to make the ride more difficult that it needed to be.  The route was well marked, even with a detour.  The volunteers and law enforcement were plentiful and very friendly- thank you for coming out and making sure the riders were safe!  

There was one rest stop on the 50K route and one water stop.  The rest stop was located at mile 17.  There were plenty of snacks to choose- from peanut butter sandwiches to plums to granola bars.  We were well fueled to get us to the finish line.  At the finish, there was enough food to feed an army!  We could get two sandwiches and three side dishes.  The sandwich selection included: brats, hamburgers, black bean burgers, grilled chicken wrap and cheeseburgers.  Sides included: pasta salad, coleslaw (which was delish- it had a lime cilantro dressing), potato chips, watermelon and chocolate chip cookies.  If that wasn't enough, you also got some Culvers custard AND two beers from Capital Brewery in Madison.  Any calories that I burned on the ride, I more than replenished them at lunch!

It was a great ride, one that I am planning on doing next year.  The Dairyland Dare was part of the Wisconsin Triple Crown Endurance Cycling Series. I might even tackle the Triple Crown if my schedule allows.  

Thank you to my friends for riding with me!  I don't get to ride often with this group of friends and it was a true pleasure to enjoy the ride and to catch up with one another.  

Three things I am grateful for:
1) Friends who like to do challenges like the Dairyland Dare
2) Events like the Dairyland Dare are available within driving distance of where I live
3) That my body is able to do these types of activities that I so enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment