Monday, August 20, 2012

Test Driving an Ironman

"H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession"- Author Unknown
My ducky medal from the Madison Open Water Swim (MOWS)!


This weekend, I had a chance to tag along with my friend Loren to Madison, WI to swim in the Madison Open Water Swim.  The swim is either a 2.4 mile or a 1.2 mile open water swim in Lake Monona.  Loren is training for the Ironman Wisconsin, which takes place on Sunday, September 9th.  Many of the triathletes use this open water swim as a dress rehearsal, then bike the course afterwards.  That was our plan too.

So, I signed up for the 2.4 mile swim.  I have never swam that distance in open water before.  Since the opportunity presented itself, I might as well try!  I could always bail at the 1.2 mile distance since the course was a 1.2 mile rectangular course that you had to do twice.  The start is not like a usual triathlon start where you run into the water and start swimming from the shore.  The start was in the water with all participants treading water before the gun went off.  The first 1,000 yards sucked.  Everyone was hitting each other and swimming over the top of one another.  I have a bunch of bruises on my arms and legs from getting kicked and hit.  At this point in the swim, I was mad.  Really people?  I just don't get why everyone gets off hitting one another in the water.  Just swim around people or draft off of them until the opportunity to pass and draft off of someone else presents itself.  I found my zone and had a great swim until my allergies kicked up.  

Will I do another open water swim like that again?  Yes!  I really had a great time and enjoyed the swim.  It is on my bucket list to do the Big Shoulders 5K Lake Michigan Swim one day.  

I must have been allergic to something in the water because I could not stop sneezing and my nose just kept on running.  The bike was miserable because of this.  I wish I would have taken some more allergy medicine and some decongestant.  I snotted myself up to the point of wishing my nose would fall off.  My lips were chapped and bleeding by the time we were done, ugh.  I felt bad for Loren having to wait on me since this was a dress rehearsal for the big day.  I'm sorry Loren.

I had been contemplating trying to compete in an Ironman in the near future.  After Saturday, I don't think it is in my cards to do one.  Can I swim 2.4 miles?  Yep.  Can I run 26.2 miles?  No problem.  Can I bike 112 miles?  I don't think so.  It takes a special person to do this distance and I don't think I am one of those people.  And I am ok with this.  I do enjoy doing Sprint, Olympic and 1/2 Ironman distance and will continue to compete in triathlons.  

Good luck to those competing in Ironman Wisconsin!  It was fun swimming and biking with those of you who were training in Madison on Saturday.


No comments:

Post a Comment