Monday, July 16, 2012

Racine 1/2 Ironman Race Recap

"Pain is about seeing how strong you are mentally."- Unbekannt
It look an hour of water and a ham sandwich, but I finally manage to smile for a finisher picture.
Yep.  I finished the Racine 1/2 Ironman yesterday.  And it wasn't pretty.  Here are the race nitty gritties:

Swim:
What a wonderful morning for a swim!  The water temperature was 68 degrees and the lake was calm.  It was so clear that you could see the bottom of the lake the entire swim portion.  I had a great swim- it is my favorite part of the race.  My time: 43:22- I'll take it!

Bike:
With the confidence from the swim, I felt good about the bike.  Well, that lasted about 10 miles.  At the transition, there is a nice hill to start you off.  We practiced that hill, so I was ready for it.  The bike was in low gear and I managed to avoid all of the folks who were falling.  Before the bike portion, I took 2 Endurolytes so I wouldn't cramp.  I had two water bottles on the bike so I felt I would be hydrated enough for the ride.  I had a Clif Bar and Clif Blocks for nutrition.  I was going to take a block or a bite of the bar every 7 miles- which I did.  I didn't bonk- amazingly.  The issue was the heat.  There was not a cloud in the sky and a nice furnace heat breeze coming from the south.  The pavement heated up quick and there wasn't much shade on the course.  I quickly realized I needed more hydration.  I finished both water bottles and drank a water bottle from every aid station.  I knew I was going to be in trouble for the run by mile 35.  
Another problem that I encountered was my feet felt like they were on FIRE.  I never had that problem ever on the bike.  I even took my feet out of my shoes for a while to cool them off.  It didn't help.  
Finally, the bike was over-3:48.  It was not a good time and I was disappointed.  The bike portion is something that I will keep working on.  I hate the bike, but that a blog subject for another time.

Run:
I knew this was going to be ugly.  I felt awful.  It was the middle of the day and the temperature was 93 degrees.  I make fun of people who run in the middle of the day.  I mock people who run in 93 degree heat.  This girl gets up at the crack of dawn to avoid the heat to run.  I also don't run fall marathons for this very reason.  I would rather freeze to death on a 20-mile run that do a death march training run in this heat.  At the aid stations, there was water, sports drink, cola, oranges, bananas, pretzels and potato chips.  I would have an orange slice and alternate between water and cola at the aid stations.  There were also sponges soaked in ice water- that was heaven!  This was my WORST 1/2 marathon time EVER: 3:09.  There isn't much to talk about here- it was terrible.

Physical Damage:
I am a bit sore today.  I might go for a shake out run tomorrow, depending on the heat and my sunburn.  I have a horrible sunburn and a lovely heat rash on my legs.  I sunburned on the top of my hands from the bike- weird.  I am chafed on the bum- my tri shorts aren't the best and I was expecting this.  Body Glide failed here.  Other than that, I have no blisters or scrapes.  I will survive to race another day.

Race Overall:
This was a very well run race.  The volunteers and support from the Racine community was bar none!  Thank you to those who had there sprinklers on for us.

Support:
Thank you to all of my friends and training buddies for coming out and cheering me on!  You don't know how much that means to me.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I can't wait to return the favor.

Final Thoughts:
Will I do another 1/2 Ironman?  That is to be determined.  I won't be doing one next year.  I want to focus on the Olympic distance and really improve on the bike before I try the 1/2 Ironman distance again.

3 Questions:

1) Would you do a 1/2 Ironman or Ironman Relay?
Yes I would.  I wouldn't mind doing the swim portion or the run.

2) Which do you like more, triathlons or running races?
I am starting to like triathlons more than running races, but I will continue to do both.

3) What was your post-race celebration dinner?
Since Chris and I lead a mostly vegetarian diet, we rarely eat pork or beef.  I splurged after the race with a ham sandwich rather than a veggie sandwich and for dinner we had steak, baked potato, salad and for dessert- lemon pie!  The steak was paired with a Robert Young Scion.

3 Things I am grateful for:

1) The support of my friends, family and training buddies on this journey!
2) That I didn't die yesterday, when I really felt like I would.
3) Last night's dinner- what a splurge!







No comments:

Post a Comment