Monday, July 30, 2012

Venus De Miles Ride Recap

"Give a man a fish and feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.  Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring."- Desmond Tutu

Sorry the logo doesn't show up very well.

 Yesterday, I participated in the inaugural Venus de Miles ride in Lake Forest.  It is an all-women's ride that supports Greenhouse Scholars, which provides comprehensive personal and financial support to high-performing, under-resourced college students, both men and women.  

Two fears were conquered yesterday.  One- this fear is always present- the fear of bike riding on the road.  I absolutely HATE riding on the roads.  Mostly because of the drivers in this area are not very bicycle friendly.  Usually this time of year, a couple of cyclists will get run over.  I just don't want to be one of them.  I refuse to go for a bike ride by myself for fear that I will get run over and then be lying almost dead in a ditch with nobody stopping to help me.  I am trying to get the courage up to go on a 30-mile ride this year by myself...I don't know if that will happen or not.  

My second fear is doing events by myself.  After I rode to the start of the ride, I realized that this fear was going to quickly disappear.  Like most all-women's events, this event was very inclusive and supportive.  I had no problems finding women to talk to and to ride with.  There were all kinds of women at this event- there was even a 75-year old professional cyclist!  Yes, she blew right past me like I was standing still on the bike.  I was inspired that I have another 30 years to improve on the bike!

It wasn't a competitive ride and all levels of riders participated.  There were fancy triathlon bikes to  mountain bikes to coaster bikes.  The route was well marked and there were plenty of route sheets to go around.  The rest stops had many clear port-o-potties and plenty of great, nutritious food provided by Whole Foods.  All in all a great time was had by all.  I plan to sign up for next year- which takes place on Sunday, July 28, 2013.  To all of my women friends, you might want to check this out next year!

Questions to you:

1) Where do you find groups to ride with that are beginner/intermediate level?

2) Where do you find safe places to ride?  Word of mouth? Internet?

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment